Why is it important on having such clear focus when working from home?
I know it as a mom of twins, I have to work around my kid’s schedule quite often when they were small babies. On when I could devote time to work and even focus on my work having that schedule that was basically revolving around my kid’s schedule is what I had to do. but as they got older, yes I still work around their schedule but, when I work is really what changed for me because now that they’re older my schedule changed based on their schedule again. First, you need to be clear first on your ‘Why’.
Why is it that you need to stay focused?
What is the end goal, that you’re trying to achieve?
That’s what’s going to drive you to stay focused and to be able to stick to a plan. Honestly, without a plan, there isn’t anything to be really focused on!
Definitely start with a big goal and if you don’t know how to create or figure out what your big goal is or even how to even is? then you definitely need to check out my other article on, How to Create a Plan to Achieve Success, I promise you will find this a game changer!
We all have all need big goals in order to drive us to stay focused. I know as a mom, and as an entrepreneur, I have only been able to complete tasks or being able to be productive by having a big and goal, that I wanted and needed to achieve.
This will drive you to have a much more clear road map, on how to get from point A to point Z. Be sure to check out my article on how to create a roadmap as I go into great detail and this really lays out the foundation for what I’m about to explain.
I had a clear Focus once I created my roadmap. I actually Drew out every step in between two getting me to my end Big Goal. Weather that was for my business or even my personal life. You can use this technique in all areas of your life.
This really is what helps you stay focused and have a clear and step by step way on how to get to what you want to achieve in the end. After all, isn’t that what we need to be staying focused on?
This really brings me to what I was saying and how to stay focused when working from home?
How to get started with staying Focused?
So definitely, these are the steps I took to staying focused while working from home:
- Have a Big End Goal
- Have a clear plan and your to-do list for that day at all your must do’s
- Determine when is your most productive time during the day
- Have a clear road map on how you are going to achieve your End Goal
- Set your work hours and boundaries
- Take breaks every hour for 5 to 10 minutes. This is super important as it helps you refocus, especially if you find yourself not getting much done as you might develop a mental focus block. So definitely, take breaks!
- Make Sure you have a designated work area in your home, that is your office space. Never make your kids play area part of your office, this is a complete no…no!
- Avoid multitasking, stick to your step 2 which was having your clear plan and you’re must Do’s for that day. Keep your head down and do your work, without having to deviate into something different, which will only ruin your focus, on the tasks that you must complete.
- Follow The 80/20 Rule this is The Pareto Principle where you do more in less time. This is an amazing concept. This is a must-read, on my article, How to Incorporate the 80/20 rule
- Tackle You’re challenging tasks first, these are those that you tend to put off. just start them first instead of putting those tasks off, complete them, so you’ll be so, much more productive and focused.
- Create your priority list, for the next day. This helps you have a clear focus, on what you need to do right from the morning, without wasting or procrastinating what you need to do, to get things done. This is a complete game changer, at a Must-Do!
- Avoid online distractions and checking out social media, when you first wake up in the morning. Keep your priorities top on your list. As a lot of us check out online destruction that can really deviate you, which makes you lose focus, instead of what you should be focusing on.
- Have Your Big End Goal posted up on your wall, in your home office. This will help you stay focused because you will have a constant reminder of your ultimate goal.
- Get organized! This helps with your mental clarity and without feeling overwhelmed because you look around and see that there are other things that you maybe you need to do or that has your not really focused on, what you should be doing.
- Surround yourself with success, that will create that mindset for you to achieve your goal, the drive will keep you focused.
- Train your brain to focus If you haven’t yet read, How to train your Brain to Focus, this is a great read!
- Exercise Regularly, this not only creates energy physically but it actually helps your mental clarity as well, which in turn helps with your focus! So, this is definitely a double win-win!
- Shut your phone ringer off or wear earplugs. For some people they need complete silence, this is for those times you need to really think and be able to complete those harder tasks.
- Time Blocking is a great technique, that I do to set a time on how long a task will take me and then block out that amount of time in my schedule, in order to complete it. This is all done without any distractions. Also, setting a timer might be very useful, when completing a numerous amount of tasks, so that you don’t go over your time, that you need or have scheduled for them.
- Get an accountability partner, someone to hold you accountable and you can do the same for them. This helps you to stay focused because you know that you will need to report back, what you completed and what you’re still working on. It will keep you accountable and being focused and productive.
Tips for Success in Staying Focused
- Have a Big Goal
- Don’t procrastinate
- Set a Schedule
- Have a Roadmap plan
- Get Organized
- Surround yourself with success
- Time Blocking
- Minimize Distractions online and social media
- Focus on less
- 80/20 Rule
- Time Blocking
- Train your brain to focus
- Do the difficult tasks first
- Avoid Multitasking
- Designate an area for your home office
- Take breaks
- Set boundaries
- Determine your most productive times
- Have an accountability Partner
- Shut off all distractions
- Get help with the babies
Common Focusing FAQ
How Can I train myself to stay Focused?
- Slowly Increase your strength of focusing on any given task gradually. There are many different techniques, some people use but I find brakes, meditation, fresh air, and exercise can play a big role in regaining and strengthening your brain. This definitely helps with your focus to be able to, focus for longer periods of time.
How to keep your mind from wandering?
- Really, This takes a bit of practice, but if you try focusing on one thing at a time, instead of too many things. You’re going to find that your mind will stick to what you’re doing and be able to stay on task much better.
- Having too many tabs open on a computer screen baby way too overwhelming, Instead, try only having the one tab or even two tabs open that you actually really need. So Focus on Only on one thing at a time! Definitely, Trying to multitask is not the answer instead stick to one task and complete it before moving on to the next.
What Exercises to do, that can help Increase your Concentration and to help strengthen your Attention to Focus?
- Have You ever heard of the “Pomodoro Method” this is when you work for about an hour straight then take a 10-minute break? For a lot of people, this may seem extreme, that there’s no way they can stay focused straight for an hour, then break. But, this is completely doable. Just by setting a timer and giving yourself small achievable bite-size goals with brakes is it basically what you need to do at the beginning, just by starting small, easy to obtain goals and work your way up from there. I always say break things up into small manageable bites, that you’re not going to get overwhelmed with. If half hour is all you can handle, then do a half hour and set a timer to break for 15 mins, before you go back to complete your task. I believe doing something, is always much better, Then never getting started or completing your task, at all.
How to stay focused on goals?
- Set your schedule and book off your time, when you will be working on your tasks to complete. Book your schedule as you would any other appointment. Ask yourself, if you had a doctor’s appointment, would you cancel it? No Right? Well, treat this the same, as you would any other appointment.
- Focus on fewer things. Instead of Trying to do too many things at once, just pick one thing that you need to complete, at that given time.
- Just start and don’t procrastinate!
- Learn to delegate things that you can alleviate off your plate, to free up your time, so that you can achieve your end goals.
- Always Break things down into smaller manageable bite-size pieces.
- Visualize your and results, it can’t completely motivate you on staying focused, on your big goals.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Staying Focused
Always have a Big Goal with a roadmap. Having a plan laid out to help you stay focused, keeps your must do’s, keeps the top priorities on what you need to do in order to Complete and reach your ultimate goal! Remember when you have a big and Cole it will only drive you to stay focused. Things to consider are to tackle you’re most challenging tasks first and focus only on one task at a time.
The 22 Best Tips on Staying Focused
Make sure to opt-in and get your free printable of the top 22 Tips on Staying Focused. This is completely free and yours when you click on the button below to receive it directly in your email box today!